Thursday, August 7, 2014

Full Moon - What's In A Name?


On Sunday, August 10th (yesterday) we had a full moon.  I am always interested in the names that have been given the full moon of each month.  The month of August is really interesting because it has so many different names given to it by Native American tribes or cultures.  One is the Sturgeon Moon... I don't know what kind of fish a Sturgeon is but it is found in the Great Lakes.  Another name is Green Corn Moon.  My guess is that corn is sort of green at this point of it's growing.  Other names for the August Full Moon is Grain Moon, Berry Moon, Red Moon (due to the color sometimes), Fruit Moon, and Dog Days Moon (colonial days).  Depending if we have cloud coverage or not determines if I can see the full moon in Seattle.  At this time of the year it is likely I can.

I also want to mention that I am going to only be posting 3 days a week (at least) now.  I am always trying to find that balance.  Sometimes there isn't many interesting things to post so I thought that taking it down to three posts per week and add more if I have more to add.  I will keep the schedule of M,W,F.  Of course, keep my options open to add if I am inspired.  Deal.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Danna, I didn't realize that there were different names for the full moon (other than the blue corn moon). Interesting! I think blogging 3 days a week is pretty standard for a lot of people and with the Chatterbug 30-day challenge, I know that I am going to need a break and go down to a few days a week as well. Have a great day! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. The names for the full moons have always fascinated me. And I'm definitely with you on posting less, three days definitely seems more manageable though the 30 day challenge has been fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danna!! I also think the names of the full moon are interesting.
    I will be lucky to post 3 days a week once I start school, I do not think it will happen. I haven't even been able to do the 30 day challenge. I will try to keep up with all of you once I go back to work. Have a nice week.
    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete