Friday, January 2, 2015

What About The New Year?

A plaque on our wall in the living room.

Today I have off from work.  I have to take Riley to the doctor's for an injection early this morning.  It is for keeping up with his immunizations.  Then we have a few errands to do... pay a few bills, go to the store to pick a few things, etc.  I will probably be done around noon with the errands... then it is back home.

When the new year comes, one thinks about what goals or challenges one would like to complete this new year.  It is a new start and so there is a feeling that there is the ability to do things one hasn't done and to start again.  The goals one usually has is to lose weight (be more healthy), drink more water, save money or pay off debts, be more organized, you might want to be more confident, be more social, spiritual, or giving,  It comes down to an exercise of discipline or commitment.  Usually those things are best taken in small bites, it seems to me.

This month I am going to set the goal of not buying food on campus/ work for snacks or lunch.  By my calculations I have spent $20 to $30 a week at times.  That is $80 to $120 savings.  It is one of my biggest problems because I didn't bring my own food or snacks with me.  I think this will take planning and doing it... but the goal should be easy to reach.  I will let you know how I am doing with this goal.  And tell you about other goals that I have started or need to start as I go.  I don't believe goals should just be set on New Years Day but through out the year.

How did I do with goals from last year.  OK.  We are eating more at home... dirty dishes contest to that fact.  Also, I started square dancing again in the last part of 2013 (and it was something I did before but got away from it) and brought Riley into it with me.  He went to competitions in May 2014. During the summer there isn't much dancing but we did what we could... and we are doing more now.  So that goals is doing well too.  That goal has many benefits... it is social, an exercise, and we are a member of clubs so we have responsibility.

Have a wonderful day... and let me know what your goals are, they may be something that I didn't think of yet.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Danna! Great ideas for saving money, and starting goals for the new year! I haven't started 365 yet, we are getting ready for our trip to our son's in Florida, and we have been taking down our Christmas and prepping here for our other sons when we are gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danna!! Oh I bet you will save a lot not eating on campus. That does get expensive. Good luck to you.
    The square dancing sounds like so much fun!! Keep it up!!
    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danna, I think that is a good idea about not buying lunch at school. My daughter takes her lunch every day and packs it when she does her kids. I know I need to take a better look at my spending habits too! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete